Dear Christian Gabriel Smith Sr.
When I was little….I always wanted to wear your shoes because in our house you were superman, the one person who no matter what the world threw at him, could always save the day. You are not just my father you are my hero; the man who taught me that it is ok to cry just as much as it is ok to laugh; for that I am eternally grateful beyond words. Thank you for teaching that a man will make mistakes but what’s important is our ability to fix those mistakes. Thank you for teaching me how to love openly and honestly I will forever cherish those teachings.
As I got older….I always wanted to wear your shoes because you were like the Batman to my Robin… teaching me, loving me, and allowing me to grow as an individual. Your strength could not be measured by weights and your height could not be measured by a number. To me, my father, you were bigger than life. I watched you bury your best friend, my mother and praise God for giving you the opportunity to love her; how can I measure up to man you are?
When I am older… I will still want to wear your shoes because you inspired me to reach for the unattainable, to break the mold and be a man. To love, to live, to enjoy….to praise God in good and in bad. To be thankful for what I have, share with those who don’t, and work for what I want.
I never got to tell you then so I will tell you now…I always wanted to wear your shoes daddy because you are my hero and I miss you so much.
With love,
Christian Gabriel Smith Jr.
PS.
I hope my son wants to wear my shoes.

No comments:
Post a Comment